posted in 2012-06-18
15 June 2012 a big event - an international conference as the final event of the project was organised in Vilnius. In addition to the project partners from Lithuania, UK, Greece, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Romania, Poland, Spain, Turkey and Belarus, there were representatives from different social partner institutions and migrant communities in partner countries: UGT - the General Union of Workers in Spain, Domestic Workers Action Group based in The Migrants Rights Centre in Ireland, PAIWAND Afghan Association in UK, Kulturbrücke in Germany, The Russian – Lipovans Community in Romania, Bulgarian community in the Netherlands, Turkish and Romanian communities in Lithuania.
The conference was attended by honoured guests - the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Kingdom of the Netherlands Mr. Kornelis Willem Spaans, Deputy Head of the Mission of the Embassy of the Kingdom of Spain in Lithuania Mr. Manuel Hernandez Gamallo, the Interim at the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Lithuania Mr. Felix Schmidt, as well as people who represented different NGOs and state institutions dealing with migrant integration issues. They were representatives from the Education Exchange Support Foundation, British Council, Language Teachers' Association of Lithuania,Institute of Labour and Social Research, The Refugees Reception Center, Center for Equality Advancement. There were teachers from different Vilnius and Kaunas universities and colleges, and the State Linguistic University of Minsk.
The conference was opened with the welcoming words from the project coordinator, and a representative from the Education Exchange Support Foundation, and with the welcoming song in Spanish created and performed by a young Lithuanian actress.
Key speakers from the Netherlands and Spain presented the topics on integration issues in their countries and the representative from British Council office in Vilnius analyzed the research results on immigrant languages in EU.
Then the conference participants and guests were presented to the project and its final product CD - Migrant Integration KIT. The presentation ended with the simulations performed by „36 group“ actors to demonstrate the innovative and special method based on drama elements introduced during the trainings and greatly appreciated by trainers and final beneficiaries - migrants The trainers and representatives from migrant communities shared their reflections on the trainings, which had been run in each partner country. There was a skype meeting organized with the representative from Somali community in UK. She spoke how important it was for her to participate in the training and she was grateful for the possibility offered.
There was a project fair organized during the conference. Project partners and other educational institutions presented their projects, shared experiences, and ideas. It was a good opportunity to make useful contacts for the development of the new projects.
After lunch the conference participants spread into two workgroups:
- Group 1 - for presenting and discussing with representatives from migrant communities the issues on migrant integration through education
- Group 2 - for presenting the projects working with the migrants integration (the assessment of opportunities of third-country nationals' in labour market, the experience of the consultation centers working with migrants, migrants integration through language clubs, etc).
The conference was summarised by the President of Language Teachers' Association of Lithuania.
The conference was a great success and the feedback from the conference was very positive.
- Yassin Hartog: Integration in The Netherlands: The Drama of the Double Dutch
- Vilma Backiute: "Language Rich Europe" Findings on Immigrant Languages"
- Marisa Baena: Migrants Integration into Their New Society
- Violeta Mirinaviciute: INTEGRA Project and its Final Product - Migrant Kit
- Arunas Pocius: Assesment of Opportunities of Third Country Nationals' Integration in Lithuanian Labour Market
- Aiste Bartkeviciene: Consultation and Information Center PLIUS
- Gileta Kieriene: SPEAKEASY - Migrant Integration Through Language Clubs
- Andreea Cleminte: How Can Every Family Become a Bilingual Family: The BilFam Project
- Egle Sleiniotiene: Migrants
Media about The Conference:
- Report on the final INTEGRA event - International conference at International House World Organisation's website
- Article about INTEGRA project and Final conference published at UGT-PV (The General Workers Union of Valencia, Spain) website